National Anthem Songs
The National Anthem is a song that represents a country. Each country around the world has its own special anthem. It is generally about either the history of the country or about something for which it stands.
In many countries the words to the national anthem is sung on national holidays and at festivals.
They are also frequently performed before a sports event. When they are performed there is frequently a special etiquette to be followed.
In the United States of America every one stands, removes his hat and places his right hand over his heart.
List of National Songs
- Argentina - Himno Nacional Argentino
- Australia - Advance Australia Fair
- Austria - Land der Berge, Land am Strom
- Bahamas - March On, Bahamaland
- Brazil - Hino Nacional Brasileiro
- Bulgarian - Mila Rodino
- Cambodia - Nokoreach
- Canada - O Canada
- Chile - Himno Nacional de Chile
- China - The March of the Volunteers
- Colombia - Himno Nacional de la Republica de Colombia
- Costa Rica - Himno Nacional de Costa Rica
- Denmark - Der er et yndigt land
- England - God Save the Queen
- Finland - Maamme
- France - La Marseillaise
- Germany - Das Deutschlandlied
- Greece - Ymnos eis tin Eleutherian
- India - Jana Gana Mana
- Indonesia - Indonesia Raya
- Ireland - Amhran na bhFiann
- Israel - HaTikvah
- Italy - Il Canto degli Italiani
- Jamaica - Jamaica, Land We Love
- Japan - Kimi ga Yo
- Kenya - Ee Mungu Nguvu Yetu
- Korea - Aegukka
- Mexico - Himno Nacional Mexicano
- Netherlands - Het Wilhelmus
- New Zealand - God Defend New Zealand
- Norway - Ja, vi elsker dette landet
- Panama - Himno Istmeno
- Philippines - Lupang Hinirang
- Poland - Mazurek Dabrowskiego
- Portugal - A Portuguesa
- Scotland - Flower of Scotland
- Singapore - Majulah Singapura
- Slovakia - Nad Tatrou sa blyska
- South Africa - National Anthem of South Africa
- South Korea - Aegukga
- Spain - La Marcha Real
- Sweden - Du Gamla, Du Fria
- Tanzania - Mungu ibariki Afrika
- Thailand - Phleng Chat
- United States of America - Star Spangled Banner
- United Kingdom - God Save the Queen
- Vatican - March Pontifical
- Venezuela - Gloria al Bravo Pueblo
- Wales - Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau
March Pontifical which is the Vatican National Anthem was written by Charles Gounod in 1869 for Pope Pius IX's 25th anniversary of being a priest! Thanks to Christopher from Clarinet-Now.com for sharing this music fact with me!
Did You Know These Patriotic Music Facts?
- Most national anthem lyrics are marches or hymns but many of the Latin American anthems are operatic.
- Spain's anthem, La Marcha Real, has no lyrics.
- Very few of the national anthems were written by well known composers, except for Germany's which was written by Franz Joseph Haydn.
- Most are in major scale, excepting a few which are minor.